Hello again, lovely ladies of 2nd floor CHA! Here is yet another tried and true fall recipe for you to give a try. Brought to us by my sister, the mother of three rambunctious boys who is presently expecting a fourth, this recipe has been through the fire of their picky eating and has withstood the flames, having been savored by all…
– 1/2 c. salted butter, melted and cooled
– 1 c. all purpose flour
– 1 t. ground cinnamon
– 1/2 t. baking powder
– 1/2 t. salt
– 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 c. sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
– 2 large, firm and sweet apples, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8″ x 11″ baking dish.
2. Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, and egg with mixer for approximately 2 minutes. Add the walnuts and apples to this mixture and stir by hand. Add the dry mixture to this and stir until thoroughly combined.
3. Spread the batter in the baking dish and bake until golden brown, approximately 40 minutes. Let cool for about 30 minutes and then cut into 12 bars.
*Remember the recipe substitutions from a few posts ago: you can always find things that can be tweaked in a recipe in order to make it even just a bit healthier!
I must admit, I have not yet figured out why these are called apple “brownies” and not simply apple cake bars, or something like that, but I am confident that they are delicious nonetheless. I intend to make a batch soon, but if you get to it first, let me know how it goes!